Cover Photo

Cover Photo

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars


So when I was a kid, my parents and I would go to this awesome Mexican restaurant called Casa Bonita. You would get you food and they would seat you at tables that were at all levels of the restaurant that was scattered around a large indoor waterfall. There were divers that would do amazing different kind of dives into the pool below and also a hilarious safari man and gorilla that would do a comedy sketch. The point to this story is that the best part about this restaurant was the sopapillas that they would bring out after you finished your meal. They were always so hot and fluffy and were amazing with some honey squeezed inside. 

If you don't know what a sopapilla is, it is like a Mexican doughnut but I hate describing it that way. Yes they are cooked alot like doughnuts since they are fried but they are way better than that. They are dusted with cinnamon sugar and like I said earlier they are amazing with honey squeezed inside. 

I was trying to come up with desserts that I could take to Allen's family's Thanksgiving and to work as a treat. Cheesecake bars are very popular and very easy to make. I found this recipe and tweaked it a little to make it taste more like a sopapilla. So without any further ado, the recipe for Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars.

You Will Need:

2 (8 oz) cans of crescent roll dough
2 (8 oz) packages of cream cheese. softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
3/4 cup sugar, divided
4 teaspoons of ground cinnamon, divided

Spray 13x9 pan with cookie spray. Open crescent rolls and unroll into the bottom of pan, pressing together seams to seal. 

In a large bowl, blend together cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar until creamy. Mix in vanilla, egg, and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon until smooth. 

Spread evenly over dough, smoothing to edges. 

On counter, lay out parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Unroll second can of dough onto paper and using rolling pin, seal seams. Then flip over onto top of cheesecake mixture, pressing down at edges to seal in mixture. 

Heat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. 

Meanwhile, mix together remaining cinnamon and sugar. After done baking, remove bars from oven and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar while still hot. Let cool for an hour before putting in refrigerator overnight to completely set. 

Cut into squares. Depending on how many people you are making for will determine the size that you cut them. I cut mine small since I needed them for 3 events. I was able to get about 24 of them.

They are incredibly delicious and taste alot like a sopapilla to me. One of my friends at work said that they tasted like Cinnamon Toast Crunch (but of course she has never had a sopapilla before lol)

Well I hope you give them a try and let me know how you like them. I have another recipe to share this weekend that I also made for Thanksgiving. 

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family and friends. 

Going to finish my episode of Bones. Catch ya later!


1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! If you are reading this here in Nashville area, you can get so papilla as a new restaurant at Indian Lakes across from theater. Restaurant is called Sopapillas.

    ReplyDelete